Thursday, July 6, 2017

just be



well by golly it's july.
woaahhhhhhhh.

this summer, i'm challenging myself.
i'm challenging myself to not set all these giant goals.
i'm trying to not set big expectations.
i'm working on taking each day at a time, while still being mindful of how today will affect the future.

because in our mad stampede to have perfect Instagram-y, perfect beach-y hair, crossed off everything on the checklist, perfect food filled days, it's hard to just be.
at at some point, we all have to realize it's good (even healthy!) to stop doing and start being.

it's hard to enjoy life when you're so focused on enduring it perfectly.
it's hard to enjoy life when your checklist never shortens, day after day after day.
it's hard to enjoy life when you can't find time for the most important things.

today, take a moment to "be."
feel your lungs inflate and deflate with air.
hear the birds chirp.
let the sky shine on you.
and remember what a precious privilege it is to just be.


p.s. i got to hold puppies this week so yeah. be jealous. 

15 comments:

  1. yesss so much love for this!! setting goals is great and all but it can also make us feel down about ourselves if we don't meet our expectations, the images we see in our heads of how things are supposed to be. like you said, it's so important to just be sometimes :) x

    Sara’s Chapters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Sara!
      thanks for leaving a comment and stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is great, Elissa! Thank you so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! (I'm a new and enthusiastic subscriber; hi!) This a letter of reminder to me; thank you for posting this. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey new and enthusiastic Hannah! so glad you're here!
      I'm so happy you enjoyed this <3

      Delete
  4. PUPPIES OHMYGOODNESS. <33

    Such a beautiful reminder btw, I needed this.

    P.S, Loooving your blog! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this reminder, oh my gosh. I always need to be reminded of this. xD

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so beautiful to read, Elissa! It's so important not to get too caught up in the pressures of daily life. I was on holiday last month and it was a great opportunity to just let myself be and not worry about things. But now that I'm home I can think of a hundred things I need to do before uni starts. Thank you for reminding me how precious it is to just be in the moment and enjoy it. New reader here, I'm looking forward to reading more from you!

    Beverley
    word drift

    ReplyDelete
  7. PUPPIESSSSS!!!! SO CUTE!!!
    It is good to set goals, but yeah, sometimes we can get way too caught up in trying to accomplish everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely blog!

    Would you mind checking out my book reviews blog at https://elsbookreviews.blogspot.ca/ and possibly give it a follow? Super excited to read your posts!

    - El

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead- make my day by leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...