Thursday, June 23, 2016

'Oz' Recap


















Sweekkkcreekthuddthudthud 
Floor crackles and squeaks under my toes. 

Popping hips.
Clunking water.
Tossing pointe shoes.
Rolling neck. 
Grabbing out barres.

Plies
The very first combination of every class. 
'To bend' is the translation; and we have all bent to be here.
Concerts, sleepovers, dinners, and parties are being skipped. 
Homework is waiting for us.
Our phones are abandoned and our mouths are silent. 
We bend our knees together.

As the class continues, we work through each aspect of our bodies simincreaseing in speed.

"Allign your hips and rib cage!"
"Let go of the barre [in a balence] sometime today!"
"Elongate your spine"

We move from bare to center
The bares are moved back to the wall
Water is quickly chugged
And we continue. 

We continue to sweat and stretch.
Extending limbs,
We extend ourselves emotionally
Giving grace to the girl who, time-after-time, keeps crashing into someone else. 
Pouring our spare time into choreography, rehearsal videos, and making notes
Sewing pointe shoes
Costume fittings
Rehearsal after rehearsal after rehearsal. 
We extend.

________________________________________________

This show was a wonderful experience to be apart of. I learned more about dance and myself then I thought possible. Sweat poured out of my body, yet my heart was hydrated with joy of movement. 
The show was a blast. 
We made it through. (somehow)

I wrote my thank you cards and bought my gifts.
We said goodbye to beloved teachers- women who have grown me and challenged me in countless ways. I have been influenced and inspired, and I sit here all choked up thinking about them. 

And I stood at the barre after the show, feeling my sorreee muscles, I inhaled. 
I cracked my neck.
Clunked my pointe shoes. 
Ploped my water bottle down. 
And I realized that is, all of it, is home.

Thanks so much for dropping by! Please take a moment to leave a comment to let me know you were here. Also, if you like what you see find me on Bloglovin', Google+, and Pinterest! 

16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Elissa, I LOVE this post. Like, oh my goodness I'm semi freaking out.

    Those photos are GORGEOUS. Curiosity question, at what point were you wearing that dark outfit? Just wondering haha. Anyways, your show looks visually STUNNING. Those red pointe shoes are fabulous! And let me just say, your facial expressions are perfect! <3

    And your words, oh your words. As someone who's grown up in the theatre/dance world, I can relate SO much. You expressed it all perfectly. You have a way with words, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you are so sweet:-)
      And thanks! I wore it for this silent movie section in the very beginning- Oz was set up with the stage crew dressed as a 1940's movie crew.
      And I LOVE your comments
      xoxoxoxo

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful post Elissa. I love dance too but men I wish I was that flexible, your photos look amazing. Thanks for sharing with us. God bless.
    Joanny 😊
    imachoccakesholic.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. BY THE WAY I nominated you for the music tag! Completely forgot XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are beautiful and wonderful and you did amazing and I love you and am so proud of you! It was a joy to be there and watch you dance. But you're a little too cute and good and it is starting to overshadow me which I don't appreciate so you should maybe take a break for the summer and stop being so cool. Yeah? K great, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks :) <3 <3
      And hahahaha, whatever Miss. Top Grades.

      Delete
  5. This looks like such an amazing show!!! <3 I bet you had a great time!

    Grace
    golden halcyon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! Thanks for dropping by Grace!

      Delete
  6. Your facial expressions tho... captivating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I wish I could have gone! I would have loved to see this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Vanessa! It was pretty cool (although may be biased)

      Delete
  8. I love the Wizard of Oz! Judging from the pictures, I bet the show would have been amazing to see!

    - Courtney
    courtneylthings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Wizard of Oz is amazing!
    And the costumes are so cute~!!! I love balet btw

    Sugarcandycandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead- make my day by leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...